Friday 10 May 2013

Alexander Geddes Senior - My elusive Grandfather


My memories of my grandfather, my father’s father, are of a thin, crotchety, bald man who spent much of his time in his garden, which was laid out with military precision. As a retired draper and small businessman, his home was still stacked with suitcases of linen sheeting, damask and other fabrics. Each case was labelled ‘Property of Alexander Geddes Esquire’.
            Alexander drove an immaculate car called a Graham Paige, which had a back seat like a Chesterfield couch. Sometimes, as a child, I sat in that car as it drove a slow and stately journey to the local shops or to church. It was the sort of vehicle that caused people to stop and look. It was already a vintage car in the 1950s.
Grandpa's Graham Paige
Grandfather was very old when I was very young. There was not much he had in common with a small girl, his adopted granddaughter. On one memorable occasion, a family argument resulted from him accusing me of breaking the seat in the outside toilet; something my mother admitted to doing while trying to admire his garden through the doorway. I regret that her admiration for the foliage did not wait until she had removed herself from the confines of the ‘smallest room’.
Alexander, Linda and Myrtle with Catherine and Alexander Snr, and Cousin Graeme
This petty incident, and the alleged matter of some money owed by my grandfather to my father, resulted in my parents not speaking to my Grandpa for many years.
When I next saw Alexander I was a teenager, ushered to his deathbed. He looked frail, in the large bed and darkened room. He barely acknowledged my father or I, although some truce had been called to accommodate this momentous occasion.
As years have passed I have wondered what was my grandfather’s background.
On my mother’s side of the family I was arrayed with intricate detail of the family history, especially the generations who came as settlers to the virgin Antipodes to farm tracts of land and produce large communicative families where everyone knew everyone else and saw each other regularly. Even on my paternal grandmother’s side the detail was available about settlers and farmers. But Alexander never offered information about his background, and I never asked.
Alexander and Catherine Geddes with their children: Alexander, Myrtle, Linda and Anne
By the time I became curious, it was too late. My parents’ generation had died. My two cousins on my father’s side seemed to have vanished. My only records of his existence were faded photographs and a photocopy of his marriage certificate.
From these meagre mementos I deduced that his mother’s name was Jane Paterson and his father was Thomas Geddes. His father was a miner in one of the hundreds of pits (coal mines) in Lanarkshire but he had already died by the time Alexander married. I do not know if Thomas and Jane were married.
Geddes drapery store in Melton
My grandfather was born in 1874 in Airdrie, within an area called Monklands which is part of the larger county of Lanarkshire. Alexander was born, raised and emigrated to Australia during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837 - 1901). He was a product of a time of stifling etiquette and class structure. As a miner’s son, he had no business having dreams beyond his station. Airdrie was then a village between Edinburgh and Glasgow in the Scottish Lowlands. 
It was recorded that Alexander was born on the thirteenth of August, but his superstitions caused him to always claim the fourteenth as his birthdate.  Apart from the record of Alexander’s birth, little else exists apart from his presence, recorded on the passenger list of the SS Australia, which left Brindisi, Italy in 1996 on route to Adelaide and Melbourne. He also voted in the 1899 Australian Federation Referendum where he was listed as a draper in Melton. The mystery remains.

Lisbeth Wilks

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! Feel free to share my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz you are doing an amazing job here.

    I think if you post any more items like this you should print them out and bind them for your kids and possibly other family members.

    It's all so amazingly interesting to read about your family.

    Obviously I remember you Mother and Father very well, and very fondly.

    I think your mother bought me my very first lipstick! How' that?

    But both your parents had a wonderful sense of humour and it was always fun to go to your place and look at your bedroom which was gloriously 'wallpapered' with pictures of the Beatles!!
    My bedroom was a cheap imitation by comparison.

    (And as I have posted on my blog - you can never have too much of the Beatles).

    And yes, I do recall your writing a fan letter to John Lennon on toilet paper,,,ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. Yes I remember the bedroom wall and the toilet paper fan letter. How else do you get enough paper to write 'I love you John' a million times? :-)
      I recall the lipstick story too.
      The book is at the printers as we speak.
      xx

      Delete